Family Law & Divorce

Do You Need a Lawyer to Divorce in Australia?

When looking to get divorced, one of the first thoughts that come up for most people is to hire a lawyer. But do you actually need a lawyer to get a divorce in Australia?

The short answer is no, you don’t. You can get a divorce by yourself.

Basically, you need to fill out and file a divorce application with the courts. This application can be found on the Family Court of Australia’s website, or can be filled out online using the online form at the Commonwealth Courts Portal at

If you and your partner are in agreement about the divorce and there are no disputes, this may be a good option to take. It will save you significant time, stress and money.

However, if you and your spouse cannot come to a resolution, this is where hiring a lawyer is a good idea.

Do You Need a Divorce Lawyer

Why You Should Hire a Divorce Lawyer

Divorce can be an extremely complex and confusing process, particularly if you and your spouse are unable to come to peaceful terms about what to do with regards to splitting your assets, child custody and other matters.

A divorce lawyer is there to guide you through the process and keep you clear-headed, in order to make the best decisions and get the best outcome.

They will also know the law very well and will be able to advise you on the best actions to take to achieve the outcome you are looking for. Often when it comes to law there are very intricate details that can make or break a case, and they are there to ensure these are done correctly.

A Divorce Lawyer Will Help You With:

  • Lodging a sole or joint application for divorce
  • Splitting liabilities between you and your spouse
  • Negotiating on your behalf
  • Protecting your interests
  • Getting the best possible settlement
  • Child custody issues
  • And more

Want to Speak to a Divorce Lawyer?

We at Elmassian Lawyers specialise in divorce and have successfully won many divorce cases for clients in Sydney. If you are considering a divorce, speak to us today by calling 02 9958 2407.